Saturday, August 11, 2012

Final blog post Reflections Week 7


As I reflect on the GAME Plan I developed back in week 2, I can truly say I have had to step back and take a look at everything I have done thus far and make it make sense to me.  The two indicators I chose to focus on, after my colleagues made suggestions to me, I realized could be worked on together and I started to focus my attention on doing just that.  Indicators 2a & 2b  to design and adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to prompt student learning and creativity and to develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning and assessing their own progress.  I know that I am adapting and designing my lessons so that technology is included in as many of the lessons as possible and I am searching for ways to include PBLs and project based learning in as many of the lessons as possible.  Dr. Ertmer (Laureate Education, 2009a) mentioned in her video how important it is to establish and incorporate appropriate technology to further enhance and enrich the lesson.  Which is what I want to do this school year with my lessons. I have created a survey the students will take from Google Docs to determine how they feel about group work and to get their input as to how they feel the group work can benefit them.  I have also developed a KWHL sheet for them to use as they begin their lessons to give their own personal blue print of how they want to manage and structure their learning experience.  I am all for making sure students get all of the benefits out of their learning experience.

As often as I can I will use technology I plan to have all of my students establish Google accounts to be able to utilize Google Docs on a daily basis.  I am also making sure they have their blogs sites set up because they will journal online.  As much as I can I will utilize the available technology and resources to ensure my students know how to appropriately use technology at school, home and in society and use it safely (Ribble, 2008).  I hope to be able to use problem-based learning a great deal in my classes to help my students learn how to work together and accomplish a task with all of the members carrying out their part.  I know PBLs have so many positive characteristics for the students and it provides me with an opportunity to act as facilitator and guide my students to higher heights (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009b).  I already use social networking as much as I possibly can and I would like to be able to network with students from another school at least not sure how that will work because of the restraints we have but I am going to check into it.  My students always have stories to tell so if I can take this and make it into a learning experience it will only benefit the students I see this as a win win situation because according to Dr. Abrams (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009c) digital storytelling builds research skills, analytical skills, creative thinking skills, problem-solving skills, interpersonal skills, and communication skills.  The students would have to make meaning from information they took in visually(Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).

I can definitely say this class was very challenging to me, but I have learned so many useful strategies and gotten so many suggestions on ways to incorporate technology into my lessons and I am excited to begin the process.  I keep reminding myself about the importance of students being able to keep the light on and not requiring them to have to power down when they come to school but instead finding ways to contribute to and enhance the light (Prensky, 2008).

Reference

http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010).Visual literacy through digital storytelling. Baltimore, MD: Author
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009a). Enriching content area learning experiences with technology Baltimore, MD: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009b). Spotlight on technology: problem-based learning part 1. Baltimore, MD: Author.


Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009c). Spotlight on technology: digital storytelling part 1 . Baltimore, MD: Author.

Prensky, M. (2008). Turning on the lights. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 40–45.

Ribble, M. (2008). Passport to Digital Citizenship. (Danish). Learning & Leading With Technology, 36(4), 14-17.




No comments:

Post a Comment