Monday, July 9, 2012

Week 3-Carrying out your GAME Plan

Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer (2009) pointed out that learning to teach and to teach with technology specifically, are lifelong journeys (p.1).  I am finding myself questioning everything I thought I knew.  As I was reviewing my GAME plan from last week and looking back over comments made by my classmates, I realized how both indicators 2a & 2b could be done simultaneously.  One strategy I know I will use is to have them do more project based assignments as Vicki Davis (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009) suggests where they are developing their own questions and researching for the answers in a group setting with me as facilitator and each of the group members supporting each other throughout the process and using the different skills that each of them possess to come up with the answers which is what Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer (2009) calls authentic instruction.

Resources I will need is access to certain sites for students so that they can do research, create certain documents take virtual field trips, newspapers, guest speakers, discussion groups and parents.  I already have the computers in my class the only problem is that my district has put in a lot of filters and blocks which keep the students from accessing so many useful sites.

Additional information could come from government agencies/companies, community leaders, television shows and news, magazine articles and personal experiences.

Steps I have taken so far are checking out web sites to be used in the classroom, requesting to have additional software purchased for my classroom, looking at ways to revise my lesson plans and reflecting on ways to involve my students in the planning phase of my lessons so that students are actually able to take an active part in what they are learning.  I am also looking at lessons to see how they relates to the real world so that I can include that part in the lesson as well.  I realize the more the students can see the relationship to the real world the more likely the chance it will be of interest to them and the more technology I can incorporate and according to Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer (2009) the task will be less difficult and more stimulating to the students (p. 40).

Reference

Cennamo, K., Ross, J.& Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Tonya Moton

3 comments:

  1. Tonya,

    Class and school filters can always be a problem inside schools. My school has the same issues with websites being blocked. Many of the websites blocked would be great resources for our students. One suggestion I would have is to maybe talk to the technology director and if you gave him/her a list of sites you wanted to use he would be able to remove the block. I am not sure how large your school is or if the director is around but sometimes that works in my school, but my school is rather small.

    I am a big believer in authentic instruction. "Authentic instruction enables you to meet your curricular standards in ways that can engage and support your students' interest, creativity and motivation" (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p.40). Authentic instruction opens up many opporutnites for the students as well as the teacher to become very creative in your lessons. "There are a variety of ways to incorporate authentic experiences and activities into your classroom including problem-based learning methods, inquiry and discovery methods, inductive methods, role- playing and simulation" (Cennamo et. al, 2009, p 40). I think incorporating real world connections will only increase your students interest in your classroom.

    Kennie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kennie,
      I am a believer in authentic lessons, also, and since I teach a Personal Finance class I am able to be flexible as Dr. Ross (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009)talks about in the video. I know they need to know this information and I know it is authentic so I just have to find ways to makse sure they are getting it and understanding it. I really like how Prensky (2008) talked about the light our students are growing up in and the more authentic the instructions are the better prepared they will be to meet the challenges they are going to face.

      School filters are really an issue and I do understand why they have to be there we have had some situations at the school that were not too good. I am not sure if the technology people will consider removing any of them because they are afraid of what could happen and the school is fairly large. I have been threatened with having my lab shut down if I did not stop students from going around proxies and I am a computer teacher.

      The most important part to this whole puzzle is that students are prepared for the 21st century and are able to be successful.

      Reference
      Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.
      Prensky, M. (2008). Turning on the lights. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 40–45.
      Tonya

      Delete
  2. Hi, Tonya-

    I admire your resolve to include more authentic instruction in your curriculum. Your students are going to love the challenge, especially since it’s so clear that you talk honestly with your students, regularly solicit their feedback, and listen to what they have to say. Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) point out that goals should “allow students to clearly understand the outcomes . . . be achievable . . . and communicate the importance of the goal to students” (p. 121). It always seems to me like you do a great job with that kind of goal-setting, which is important to so many factors—UDL, successful authentic learning, and creating self-directed learners, for example.

    Now, if only your school board members or one of your administrators would listen to you the way you listen to your students! You’d have that filter problem solved in no time. After all, filters are a lot more flexible than they used to be—it takes time, but your tech director should be able to find the right settings that will allow the maximum educational benefit while still providing adequate protection.

    Whenever I launch a new project, a good friend of mine always reminds me to think about the rubrics I’ll need to create as I go along. Without her help, I tend to leave them to the last minute, which is a terrible idea. After she reminds me, I usually visit rcampus.com and rubistar.4teachers.org for ideas about what to include in the new rubric—they each have a lot of great templates to look at. Best of luck with everything!

    Susan Lavrey

    Reference

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J.& Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete