Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How this week instructional strategies correlate with the principles of cognitive learning

According tto Dr. Orey, the cognitive learning theory is the information processing model which support students' effort to understand, retain and recall information which according to Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn and Malenoski the function of cues, questions and advance organizers is to focuse on enhancing students' ability to retrieve, use, and organize information about a topic.

According to Dr. Orey, images are really powerful tools in the classroom and what better way to provide that image than through the virtual field trip when the real thing is not available.  The virtual field trip creates episodes and it is a rich experience.  These experiences will remain in the students' mind far longer than hearing a lecture.  When the student is able to make a connection it is more likely to stick with the student and learning is taking place.

The strategies and tools discussed this week provide the students with more hands on, higher level thinking activities to connect with.  With concept mapping, the students are learning to organize ideas and the more organized the information is the better chance the student has of grasping the information.  Also, the fact that the use of many of the computer programs allows the student to get through some of the prep work without having to work so hard and spend so much time with the preliminaries thus meaning the student can spend more time focusing on the results/outcome.

All of these instructional tools will help me to provide enriching experiences for my students.  The fact that I have computers in my classroom and learning all of these wonderful skills will help me to provide my students with the ability to create concept maps for my class as well as use concept mapping in any class they are enrolled in. I plan to teach them a variety of note taking skills that can only enhance their ability to learn to take notes quickly and effectively.

References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program five: Cognitive learning theory [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program six: Spotlight on technology: Virtual field trip[Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom    instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

Robertson B., Elliot, L. & Robinson, D. (2007). Cognitive tools. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved 1/15/2012, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

8 comments:

  1. Virtual field trips are a wonderful opportunity for students to experience what they are learning about without having to leave the classroom. In order to make learning more authentic, virtual field trips allow students to be given an "experience" that further builds upon their understanding. I often use virtual field trips in my 2nd grade classroom for science lessons. How do you use virtual field trips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really just getting into using them at this time but I plan to use them during my Business and Personal Finance class so the students can experience the world of finance right now I am using one to help them with careers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that virtual field trips are a wonderful tool to help students experience learning without leaving the classroom. It is amazing to see how many resources are available for teachers to access and use them within the classroom! I think this is also a great tool to use to help students brainstorm main ideas or concepts that will be discussed within future lessons. These ideas can be collected within a concept map and later discussed through various note-taking tools. Maybe you could have the students take a virtual field trip of the Federal Reserve to gain an understanding of monetary policy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students love virtual field trips. We were discussing terrorism and the events of 9/11 today and they asked what was built in place there. So, that was a perfect time for me to take them to the 9/11 Memorial website and do a virtual tour of the memorial. They were amazed at the memorial and asked tons of questions about 9/11 (since most of them were in Kindergarten when it happend). We also took one to Aushwitz for the Holocaust. Even though my students are 15 & 16 years old, they love the virtual field trips and seem to learn more from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying them myself just learning what is available so I know the students will find them interesting entertaining and informative.

      Delete
  5. Tonya,

    Your comment, "these experiences will remain in the students' mind far longer than hearing a lecture", caught my attention. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, as I have witnessed it in my own classroom on multiple occasions. The site Edheads.org has a number of resources that are, or at least similar to, virtual field trips. Maybe you can find something on there to use with your students in the future.

    http://www.edheads.org/

    T.J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking a virtual field trip of the Federal Reserve is a wonderful idea. Several years ago I carried my students to the federal Reserve Bank in Charlotte and it was an awesome trip now I can have my students all take that trip virtually. thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete